The Nalley Family

The Nalley Family
Eddie, Stephanie, Brooklyn, Chandler and Gibson

Monday, April 26, 2010

A Tribute to Big Nancy

This past weekend, Brooklyn and I went to Texarkana so that I could attend the retirement dinner for my old cheerleading sponsor, Mrs. Tullos.  (Or as many of us would affectionately refer to her, "Big Nancy".)  I almost feel strange referring to her as just my high school cheerleading sponsor, though, because Mrs. T was so much more than that to all of us.  One of the cheerleaders even said that she would rank as one of the top 5 influences of their LIFE!  As I think about that, I think I might have to agree that she is in the top 5 for me as well. 

To start, shortly after "making cheerleader", Mrs. Tullos would always have a very serious conversation with "her girls" about their reputation and their represntation of Texas High School.  She taught us that we would always be slightly in the spotlight and to be very careful and intentional in our actions, words and deeds.  Hearing this speech for all four years of my high school life, really allowed these words to sink in and make me a big part of who I even am today.  She made us all buy purse-sized calendars at the start of each year and fill in all of our practices, competitions, cheering events, etc so that we would always know when and where we were supposed to be.  This is a practice I still continue today.  She taught us organization and repsonsibility.  She made us do TONS of community service and we cheered at EVERYTHING...including swim and track meets! 

During the years that we were "her cheerleaders," she had slumber and swim parties at her house; and she was never to busy for us just to stop by her house anytime to swim or just to sit in her living room and chat.

Each year, she planned a special trip for the senior cheerleaders.  We would have our own fundraisers to support this trip and then she would line up the transportation, chaperones, lodging and extra cirricular activities.  My senior year she took 9 of us to Memphis in May.  We went shopping all day and went on Beale Street at night.  After much begging on our part, she allowed ALL 9 of us to get our belly buttons peirced as a last hurrah bonding thing.  And then, despite the fact that she was probably in her 60s at the time, she got hers pierced as well!!  (And she ended up keeping hers in the longest).  Also, during our senior year, she insisted on taking us to the University of Arkansas for a visit because it was her Alma Mater and she LOVED it.  That visit my senior year is what convinced me to go there.  Crazy!!  That is where I met nearly all of my best friends and my HUSBAND!!  My life would be truly be ENTIRELY different if it weren't for her.

Even after I graduated, she would come visit me at college and take me out to lunch.  She never left without slipping me a little money for gas, food, etc.  During college when I was barely scraping by, this meant MUCH more to me than she ever could have expected.

The funny thing is, that I always felt like I was so special to her and one of her favorites until I attended this retirement dinner.  Only then did I realize that nearly EVERY ONE of her girls, felt this same way about her!!  They said there were more people in attendance for this retirement dinner than for any othere teacher in the history of Texas High School!  If anyone deserves that honor, it is Big Nancy!!

I also got to visit with one of my best friends and probably the friend that I've had the longest in my life, Heather.

And of course, B had a blast with Mimi and DooDad while I was away.


No comments:

Post a Comment